About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Friday, May 16, 2014

The scale is wrong

So, my numbers have to been slightly optimistic. It turns out that according to the only scale that matters, the honorable Optifast scale, my weight is actually 311 instead of 308. Updated numbers therefore are:

Week 1 334.5 16.5 pounds lost 318
Week 2 318 6.9 pounds lost 311.1

So, the goal to break 300 pounds becomes a little bit longer- maybe three weeks instead of two weeks from now? It's been forever since I've been under the 300 mark. I've been at this current weight before- maybe a couple years ago when I was in my heavy workout phase. But it took me months of working out to achieve what two weeks in Optifast has gotten me. No real cause to complain so far, right?

In group, we got slightly into the touchy feely zone- with talk of a safe place and directed flow of consciousness writing. Touchy feely is not really my thing. I mean I'm great at listening to other people's problems and counseling them, but the reverse isn't my norm. I went through most of fight with cancer without telling anyone outside of my parents and my brother. Even now, 15 years later, there are probably close friends of mine that have no idea. It's not so much that I mind sharing my feelings or thoughts with other people- but I don't often do this.

So group is somewhat interesting in encouraging me to spend an hour or so with my feelings. This hour had me exploring the contrast between the somewhat shy and lonely child that I was with the adult that I became who is fairly outgoing and only rarely shy. How did the bookworm become the student politician and then the trial attorney? And what, if anything does this have to do with my gaining weight in my 30's? Dunno...

I doubt the answer to my weight gain has anything to do with my childhood, but I can see the importance of figuring out why I ate so much in my thirties. Maybe it's a way of dealing with the stresses of the job? I guess I've got a lot of time to think about this in the coming months on Optifast.

No comments: