About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My jealous mistress




Yesterday, I missed my first team workout. I was stuck in a desert courthouse over in Imperial County. I was defending a client in a multi-defendant drug case. It was a tough case in which a preliminary hearing lasted over a couple days. There was a good deal of good lawyering and the case drew me in obsessively.

Today, I was the last lawyer to cross examine the special agent on the stand. I watched four of my colleagues, distinguished criminal defense lawyers, pepper the agent with questions. It was fun to watch the different styles- an outraged lawyer, followed by a methodical questioner, then a folksy examiner and a scholarly lawyer. Good lawyers come in all sorts of styles. Finally, it was my turn. It's hard for me to analyze my own style- maybe a plus size version of Jimmy Stewart with humor?

Under my cross examination, the agent admitted various facts that helped my client. I won't go into them here as it's an ongoing case, but I received a few compliments from court staff and it felt good to have held my own amongst my colleagues.

Unfortunately, by the time I left Imperial County, there was no way to make it to my workout. I had a quick dinner of chicken, drove home and fell asleep with a little feeling of guilt.

Next workout on Wednesday. The torturer awaits..

No comments: