About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Going to pump you up!



My Optifast program cleared me to work out with weights, with the caution that it should be a light weight workout. So, I dug out my old weight lifting belt, put on the black t-shirt and told the wife, "It's time to pump some iron, woman." I'm not sure if the sound she made was a giggle...

Moments later at the gym, I looked at the bench press where I'd previously been able to lift a few hundred pounds. The theme from Rocky played in my imagination and I walked towards the bench. The bench was set up with only 135 pounds, which should be a piece of cake for someone that had previously lifted twice that weight. Still, perhaps I should start with a warm up- since it'd been a few months..years. I ended up deciding to use a light dumbbell to warm up my muscles. As it turns out, the dumbbell was me! I was completely exhausted after just a few sets.

I lay back in the bench and looked at my reflection in the mirror. One step at a time...

My results for this week:


Week 1- 5/8/14 334.5 16.5 318
Week 2- 5/15/14 318.0 6.9 311.1
Week 3- 5/22/14 311.0 5.1 306
Week 4- 5/29/14 306 6.0 300
Week 5- 6/5/14 300 4.5 295.5

Four and a half pounds lost- a total of 39 pounds lost in five weeks! I've officially moved down in suit size as well- the 54 long's have gone into storage.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it is hard to get discouraged but the weight loss is WAY more important that what you can lift. The good thing is that you are still working your muscled. You'll get your strength back, in time. You are on such a LOW calorie diet, it is no wonder you have no strength! Keep up the great work!

Estolano in San Diego said...

I know that intellectually- but it's still kind of frustrating. Still, I'm actually looking forward to crafting my workout program once I get close to my weight loss goal. It'll feel great to be able to run again without fear of my knees exploding! I'm hoping to be able to do a 5k in November, weight loss permitting.