About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The weight loss competition resumes!




This past week, I rejoined the YMCA's latest installment of the Team Challenge weight loss competition. It was nice to see some of the familiar characters from the last competition. Pamela is back as is Carlos the torturer, but this time they are on a competing team.

My first workout was with a new personal trainer, named Sam. Sam seems to be a firm believer in exercises that use your own body weight- modified push ups, pull ups, lunges, etc... I used to be able to do a ton of push ups and you'd think that push ups are easier when your belly is..um..closer to the floor, but it was a struggle. Still, by the end of the class, I felt completely conscious- which is probably a step towards better fitness. My new team mates were also very motivational- I even got cheerful email reminders from our captain.

Later in the week, we had a nutrition class where we were faced with the catch 22 of weight loss- you need to burn more calories than you eat in order to lose weight, but if you eat too little then you don't have the energy to work out. I've decided to err on the side of eating too much for now. The perfect diet is one of moderation- lower on calories but with a good balance of carbs, protein and fats- depending on your needs at the time.



On Saturday, I decided to take a class with Carlos and his little brother(le petit torturer?) in order to help burn some extra calories. It was a boot camp style class that was absolutely exhausting- I was tired for the rest of the day- but was also exhilarating. I ran up and down hills and did a variety of military style drills.

GI Ray? Just a matter of time...

No comments: