About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Some thoughts in September

It's been almost a month since I've posted anything. Mostly I've been involved in a jury trial that has consumed most of my time with any leftover time given to the rest of my practice and my wife.

A jury trial is what many of us lawyers live for. A trial tests the pinnacle of your skills as a lawyer. You compete with another lawyer in shaping what the jury will consider to be evidence. Surprisingly, there are relatively few lawyers that know how to try a case. I haven't seen statistics, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that most lawyers will never in their careers participate as lead counsel in a jury trial.

A criminal jury trial is even harder than a normal trial, because you are faced with the prospect that your client will lose his liberty if you lose the trial. If you don't break down a certain witness with your cross examination, you could lose. If you don't relate well to the jury, you could lose. There are a million things that could go wrong and you should be paralyzed with stress. Yet, I find that you feel very alive while you are trying the case.

In my recent trial, there was a moment where I was able to ask the police officer if he in fact was the person who committed the crime! There was another moment when I confronted an eyewitness with his alleged methamphetamine addiction.

At the end of the trial, the jurors weren't able to convict my client because I'd raised a doubt about every piece of evidence in the case.

A friend asked me if this was justice. It's another way of asking whether a guilty person had gone free. I can't break client confidentiality by answering this question directly, but I'll try a generic answer.

Like many Americans, I believe in the presumption of innocence. My job as a defense attorneys is to protect my client's rights under the constitution. I'll do this to the limit of my abilities because it keeps the system honest.

It's better for a guilty person to be free than for an innocent man to be incarcerated. You have to believe this to be any good at jury trials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh. That sounds like it was a cool trial to have sat and watched. Good job Ray! --Bianca