About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cooking with Hitler




My brother Carlos, often referred to as Hitler by my oldest friends (this story to come later), and I are scheduled to cook on Thursday night for the family. I'm thinking of making some ribs or a beef roast to go with whatever dish Hitler makes. And what does Hitler specialize in? Believe it or not, my brother is famous for making dishes so pretty that Martha Stewart's cellmates would be jealous. Picture a golden ham sprinkled with tons of little cherries and pineapples attached via little toothpicks.

"Are we going to eat this or take pictures," said my father impatiently as the women in the family "ooh and aaah." My sisters and my brother like pretty things.

I wonder if the real Hitler also liked pretty things.

Me, I tend to lean towards cooking enormous hunks of meat. On Thursday, I'll be using my Orion cooker- It's the contraption pictured above. In a little over an hour it can take the fattest and thickest chunk of beef and make it so tender that it falls apart with a fork.

The Orion uses one bag of charcoal and gives off flames during the initial stages of the cooking- so it's pretty fun to use during a cookout. You feel like you are in the middle of a gothic bonfire. I got one for my friend Frankie when he got married.

If they say marriage is hell, then why not have a cooker that spits flames?

No comments: