About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Weekend of Terror!





If you were to bump into my wife and I, you would be struck by how nice we seem. Both of us smile, are generally polite and try to make people around us as comfortable as possible. People are always telling me how sweet my wife is...and they are generally right. My wife is a sweet lady with a huge tender heart.

Which is why it's perhaps surprising that my wife is one of the biggest scary movie fans around. She won't watch exorcist type movies, but she's taken me to see just about every other scary movie that has come out in the theaters since 1999. I tend to prefer comedies, but because she enjoys her movies so much, I almost always defer to her to pick the movies. And the movies that she picks are always terrifying.

It must make a funny scene to see us at the movies- a pretty slender Latina laughing at all the scares, sitting next to a large guy with his hand covering his eyes and jumping out of his seat. In real life, I'm a somewhat brave person (I think)- but in a theater audience, I'm chicken little- nervously anticipating the next appearance of the villain.

So, this weekend when my good friend Chryseis invited us to a Friday the 13th party- as a horror fan, Maria was anxiously anticipating it. The party lived up to it's hype- there were Jason masks decorating the previously swank downtown gaslamp condominium, the movie itself on the television and plenty of lucky charms and 13's scrawled on the wall. No, the party wasn't scary- but it was kind of fun to talk to people about their favorite scary movies. It seems that everyone is scared of the exorcist. A friend of mine at the party, another tall and tough looking guy, admitted that he was made queasy at the sight of movie blood.

On Sunday, we saw the movie called "The Last House on the Left." My review? It was absolutely horrible- I almost walked out at one point. I couldn't believe how gory the movie was. There's a scene with a garbage disposal that reinforces my desire to never wash dishes. Of course, the wife and the rest of the audience loved it!

This coming week I think I will stick to the Disney Channel...

No comments: