About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Some thoughts on Cohen, Sinatra and life



I was half asleep on the couch the other day after a session at the gym, when a Leonard Cohen special came on the television. "Leonard who?" I thought, but was too tired to change the channel. I lay sprawled across the sofa, listening to this old guy sing. A good rhytmn, nice deep voice, incredible lyrics.. Soon I was sitting straight up and watching the television transfixed. This cat can sing!

He had a cool style to him and songs that really made me wonder why I hadn't heard of him before. I thought he was cool in a way that Sinatra only pretended to be.

To me (and I realize this is a minority opinion), most Sinatra songs give me a headache. Strangers in Night and Seventeen are good songs- but most of his songs have a frivolous quality to them that makes me feel like switching the station. Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars... Give me a break.

But, Cohen seemed to sing his songs with a authority that came from a lifetime of hard won wisdom.

"Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried I might win."

"Ah but a man never got a woman back. Not by begging on his knees. Or I'd crawl to you, baby and I'd crawl at your feet."

It's good stuff. A cool facade, a smooth delivery, and layers of depth.

If only my closing arguments could be so good!

No comments: