About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Weight loss challenge

My good friend Ruben and I joined the YMCA's weight loss challenge this past Friday. We were placed into teams of four and given workout schedules with weekly weigh ins. I'm already feeling changes in my behavior. I've been eating less and hit the gym for my hardest workout in months on Saturday. Tonight is my first workout with my team.

It's strange to reflect on my weight, because for most of my life (maybe the first 28 years) I wasn't overweight. I was always what you might refer to as borderline athletic. I wasn't a star in anything athletic related- but I could always run for a few miles, bench press over a couple hundred pounds and could defend myself decently in a fight against anyone I was likely to encounter. I could always stand to lose a few pounds or spend extra time in the gym, but I was reasonably content.

Now, I think I can still defend myself (given a big enough stick), but I don't think I'd make it running a few miles unless I was being chased by someone. I could lift a couple hundred pounds on the bench press, but my back would make me pay for each pound.


The truth is that I'm proud to have hit 20 minutes on the elliptical machine and ten minutes of swimming. It's a long way from where I used to be. But, the journey back is never impossible so long as I have breath and sufficient health. Hopefully, with the help of my team, I'll begin the trek back to good health.

No comments: