About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Nice guys finish first?

A friend of mine is constantly asked how he can be an effective lawyer, being so nice.

His answer, white teeth flashing, "I'm not always so nice."

But, bravado aside, I've always thought that nice guys like him get a bad rap. I don't think that jerk do well in the legal profession, because of a many reasons. One, who wants to hire a jerk. Second, whenever someone is a jerk in a legal proceeding, he is always inviting the other attorney's "A" game. Whenever the opposing attorney is giving me a difficult time, it makes me more likely to respond in kind.

In real life, my friends tell me that jerks get all the pretty women...then, pause, look at the picture of my pretty wife and say that I'm an exception to the rule.

"Or maybe you're just a bigger jerk than we thought..."

But, in reality, I think that normal men and women are attracted to people that make them feel happy. Nice guys, so long as they aren't doormats, tend to do better with pretty women for the simple fact that they treat them better. The "jerk" that you see out with Ms. Universe, probably isn't a jerk to her.

Of course, there are exceptions, but I think that nice guys actually usually finish first.

No comments: