About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

What do you do when you got no shoes?




I feel closer to the president elect already. I know what it's like to wear shoes with holes in the soles. You see, I am the type of guy who is loyal to his shoes. I wear my favorite pair of shoes- a black pair of Allen Edmonds- Monday through Friday and occasionally even on weekends. The shoes still look sharp after all this time- I polish them often and occasionally take them to a professional for a buffing. But, the soles are in the end stages of wearing out. It started with a little hole in the left shoe. Now I have big holes in the bottom of both soles. This drives my wife crazy.

"A lawyer doesn't wear shoes with holes in them." Well, not a normal lawyer, I guess.

"You have a closet full of the same shoes," she continues to point out. "About 10 pairs of black dress shoes. All Allen Edmonds!"

But they weren't the same- although all of my dress shoes are of the same brand and may look identical, there's a certain difference in feel between different pairs of shoes. My favorite shoes just feel more solid...holes aside.

"I'm going to throw them away," she says for about the tenth time. I shrug my shoulders, but realize that this isn't an empty threat. Not long ago- maybe 7 years- she threw away my old favorite pair of shoes...

"Okay, Maria." I finally say as I often do. "Next week I'll take them to get repaired." Of course, I am just buying time, but eventually I start feeling too many pebbles beneath my feet.

Finally, I decided to fix the shoes. I dropped them off at a reputable cobbler (is there any other kind of cobbler?).

Now, I am going through withdrawal. My feet just don't feel right!

Crazy, huh?

No comments: