About Me

My photo
chula vista, California
Random thoughts, some of them funny, from a San Diego divorce and criminal defense attorney, as he fights for his clients in Court, fights the battle of bulge and goes through life.

Monday, July 14, 2014

One and a half steps forward?


Cue the disaster music! After consistently losing about four to five pounds a week, I stepped on the scale last Thursday and it barely moved. Only a pound and a half lost.. Unexpected, but really I should have seen it coming. Everyone else in my weight loss group has had weeks like this. This was just my turn.

I'm taking a philosophical approach to this- I can't control my results, but I can control my actions and I followed the diet without cheating for a 10th week. Seventy days without tasting juicy hamburgers with bacon, Kung Pao Chicken at my uncle's place, Fillipis' pizza, or the ice cream cake I bought my assistant for his B-day (pictured here). (Can you tell that I still think about food? lol) And I'm still losing the pounds, so I can afford to be patient. As my wife tells me, I didn't become fat overnight...though sometimes it feels like it. I look in the mirror and if I squint just right, I look almost like the 215 pound Berkeley student who boxed "just for fun." If I look further, then I see the jowl and the belly of an attorney with a few too many trips to the all you can eat area. This was "Just for fun," also, I guess, but I'm very glad I don't box anymore...I'd be an awfully big target!

Perhaps my new class in meditation will help me with all this as well. I start on Tuesday night over at UCSD. I must confess, though, that I have my reservations about trying this. I'm always criticizing my parents for jumping on every health food fad (Alkaline water, for instance). I laugh at my brother in law's medicinal ideas (he poured Gatorade on me when his dog bit me to speed the healing!). But now it's me that's going to be me sitting cross legged on a mat, maybe chanting a mantra? Has this UC Berkeley grad finally gotten in touch with his inner hippie? All I know is...studies do consistently show that meditation helps with stress, concentration and memory and I do need to deal with the stress level in my life...

So, I'll buy my yoga mat, light my incense candles (if required) and will try to keep an open mind for once. Kung Fu Panda coming to you soon...

Week 1- 5/8/14 334.5 16.5 318
Week 2- 5/15/14 318.0 6.9 311.1
Week 3- 5/22/14 311.0 5.1 306
Week 4- 5/29/14 306 6.0 300
Week 5- 6/5/14 300 4.5 295.5
Week 6- 6/12/14 295.5 3.0 292.5
Week 7- 6/19/14 292.5 8.5 283
Week 8- 6/26/14 283 4.5 278.5
Week 9- 7/3/14 278.5 5.0 273.5
Week 10- 7/10/14 272 1.5 272

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done a lot of work with the State Bar of Michigan's Lawyers and Judges Assistance Program speaking and writing about stress management, use of meditation and quality of life issues for legal professionals for several years. Here are two of my articles: http://www.michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article1385.pdf; http://michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article1987.pdf

Estolano in San Diego said...

Julia,

I was surprised at how effective meditation was. I still have to work on doing it more effectively on my own after these 8 classes are over, but I'm very happy with it so far.